Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sorka33

NYS IT-203B - Allocation of time or days

I am MA resident and got a W2 for NYC from my employer (consulting) for time spent in NY State. I need to determine my allocation for NYS wages. I have the log of # of hours booked while present in NYC (some were for client, some were for internal trainings). How should I go about the allocation? I was planning to use the "allocation by number of days":

• number of days in period of employment: 365 (same employer entire year)

• non-working days: 104 weekend days, 15 holidays, 15 vacation days

• days outside of NY: 212

I have spent ~19 days in NYC (some of it being partial days), and total of 116hrs logged in my timesheet in 2023 against NY state. 

Questions are: should i determine % of incomes based on days in NYC or hours? Does being in NYC for business client meetings vs. internal training matter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Scroll down to Instructions for Form IT-203-B, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Allocation and College Tuition Itemized Deduction Worksheet in this NY tax reference.  The instructions for Line 1 explain how New York wants you to do the allocation:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/html-instructions/2023/it/it203i-2023.htm#it203bi

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
sorka33

I have followed the TurboxTax instructions and the IT-203B instructions. They do not answer my questions.

TomD8
Level 15

"Questions are: should i determine % of incomes based on days in NYC or hours? Does being in NYC for business client meetings vs. internal training matter?"

Use whichever method you feel you can support if audited.  You must count any day you spent in New York performing the usual duties of your job.  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies