Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NYS Form IT-182 for NON-NYS Rental Info; NYC Tax for non-resident

Hello!  I am a NJ resident who has 1 condo in NYC and 2 properties in MO. 

I get W2 wages from my NYC job, so I fill NYS IT-203 every year.

1) Question on NYS IT-182. 

In 2020, the NYC condo had a loss. By default, Turbo tax carries ALL rental activities (NYC & MO) from Federal form 8582 to NYS form IT-182. Per instructions to NYS IT-182, this form should ONLY report NYS-sourced rental income/loss.   I didn't find an option within Turbo to prevent non-NYS rental info inputted under federal part from flowing to NYS IT-182.
The only way I can do: on IT-182 worksheet for my MO properties, under part II, I can zero out line 5b amount (amount of line 5a attributable to NY sources). This way, only NYC rental info would be reported on NYS IT-182.  Is this the right way to fill out NYS IT-182? 

2)  Am I subject to NYC tax (and/or NYC filing requirement) because of this condo? I live in NJ and I don't work for NYC city department, so I am not a NYC resident. I know NYC individual tax is a sur-charge of NYS tax, which should only apply to NYC residents. But still wanna double check. It's hard to imagine...say if I sell this condo at a gain later and nyc would not take a surcharge out of it?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

NYS Form IT-182 for NON-NYS Rental Info; NYC Tax for non-resident

If you go to the IT-182 Worksheet for your property, there is a box near the top that asks if this property should be excluded from the IT-182 form.  Just "X" that box and it will be excluded.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies