Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NewlyWedsWANY
Returning Member

[NY] Newlyweds filing Federal jointly: Wife is a full-year resident [NY], I am a partial-year resident [moved from WA with no state tax]

My wife and I are filing our Federal taxes jointly, TurboTax doesn't give us the option to file our State taxes separately... Or at least, I cannot manage to find out how to file State separately when Federal is joint.

The State Tax section is asking about our residency, my wife has lived in NYC for the whole year of 2022. I moved to NYC on August 1st from WA state (WA has no state tax).

How can I file State separately on TurboTax, OR should I file our taxes as a partial-year or full-year resident?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

[NY] Newlyweds filing Federal jointly: Wife is a full-year resident [NY], I am a partial-year resident [moved from WA with no state tax]

You will need to file a Federal joint return and New York resident and Part year

If you are married and filing a joint federal income tax return but one spouse is a New York State resident and the other is a nonresident or part-year resident, you are required to file separate New York State returns. The resident must use Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return. The nonresident or part-year resident, if required to file a New York State return, must use Form IT-203. However, if you both choose to file a joint New York State return, use Form IT-201 and both spouses’ income will be taxed as full-year residents of New York State.

When You and Your Spouse Move to NY at Different times

If you're a part-year resident of New York and want to enter different allocations for income earned inside or outside New York State, follow these instructions:

Entering these amounts into TurboTax

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account
  2. Continue to your return
  3. Select State from the menu
  4. Select Your State Returns from the menu
  5. Select Continue or Edit next to your New York return
  6. On the screen, Date of Last Move, enter the date you moved in or out of New York
    • Also enter the description that best describes your situation as of December 31
  7. On the screen, New York Income Allocation, answer No to the question, Were all of your wages and/or self-employment income earned in New York State?
  8. On the screen, Form W-2 Summary, select Edit next to each W-2 you need to allocate
  9. On the screen, Allocate Wages to New York, you can choose one of the following allocation methods:
    • 100% New York State income
    • Allocate by number of days
    • Allocate by percentage
    • Don’t allocate this employer
    • Allocate over multiple years
  10. On the Form W-2 Summary screen, select Done
  11. On the screen, Tell us about your New York Resident Income, enter the amount of wages earned while living in New York. If none, enter
  12. On the New York Resident Income screens, enter any federal income received as a resident of New York State. If none, enter 0
  13. On the New York Resident Deductions screen, enter any federal deductions attributable to the time you were a New York resident. If none, enter
  14. On the Tell us about your New York Nonresident Income screen, enter the amount you received from New York sources while living outside New York. If none, enter 0
  15. On the New York Nonresident Period screens, enter any federal income received as a nonresident of New York. If none, enter
  16. On the New York Nonresident Deductions screen, enter any federal deductions attributable to the time you were a nonresident. If none, enter 0
  17. Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete your return

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies