Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

serabold

North Carolina does not recognize domestic partnerships

I was filing my NC state tax form and realized my federal wages were higher than my state wages because the federal IRS recognizes the money my employer paid to cover my domestic partner is taxable.  However this number is not included in my state wages number.  Therefore, in filling out my state tax form I have to start with my federal AGI number, and therefore I owe taxes on money that NC doesn't even recognize as income.  Is this normal or is there a way to deduct this somehow?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I don't see any reference to a deduction from federal adjusted gross income for the imputed income to your domestic partner in the instructions for the North Carolina personal income tax return Form D-400. So, it seems it is taxable on your state return as well as the federal return. You can research the deductions on page 18 of the publication:  NC income tax return instructions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
serabold

Thank you. That’s odd then that my company does not take taxes already for that. That I have to pay it during tax time. Is that normal??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies