turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nonresident with rental income less than $13,825 in 2023: do I need to file MN return? Do I need to pay estimated tax?

I am a US nonresident (Canadian) and I own a vacation home in MN. I want to rent this property short term, and my rental income will be less than minium filing requirements for MN ($13,825 in 2023). 

1. Do I need to file MN nonresident return? 

2. Do I need to pay estimated tax if I didn't have any tax liability in prior years in MN? 

Federal tax:

1. Do I need to complete IRS Form W-8ECI - Certificate of Foreign Person's Claim That Income Is Effectively Connected With the Conduct of a Trade or Business in the United States? (I don't want withholding tax to be applied to my gross rent). 

2. In addition to 1040 NR and schedule E, do I need to attach a declaration about  my election to file on a net rental basis? 

Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Nonresident with rental income less than $13,825 in 2023: do I need to file MN return? Do I need to pay estimated tax?

The $13,825 is your GROSS income (total rent BEFORE deductions).  If your gross MN income is under that, you do not need to file a MN return.

If you will not owe any MN income tax, you don't need to make MN Estimated Tax payments.

For the Federal tax, yes, you would give the Form W-8ECI to the company that is handling the rentals  (AirBnB or whatever else).

Yes, you will need to attach a statement to your tax return.

The US version of TurboTax is not able to file tax returns for a person who is not a US Citizen or US Resident, so you will likely want to go to a tax professional that is experienced with that type of situation.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I'll page @AmeliesUncle for the MN question.

The $13,825 is your GROSS income (total rent BEFORE deductions).  If your gross MN income is under that, you do not need to file a MN return.

If you will not owe any MN income tax, you don't need to make MN Estimated Tax payments.

For the Federal tax, yes, you would give the Form W-8ECI to the company that is handling the rentals  (AirBnB or whatever else).

Yes, you will need to attach a statement to your tax return.

The US version of TurboTax is not able to file tax returns for a person who is not a US Citizen or US Resident, so you will likely want to go to a tax professional that is experienced with that type of situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies