Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

savagian

Non-qualified fellowship income earned in New Jersey incorrectly counts toward taxable NJ income - how do I fix this?

I am a graduate student earning non-qualified fellowship income in New Jersey and moved here officially in May 2018. Previously I was a resident in Wisconsin, where non-qualified fellowship income is taxed, although it is not in NJ. For my NJ resident return, I am asked to specify how much of my fellowship I earned while an NJ resident and I enter 0, since even though I earned income, it's non-taxable and this is what the webpage instructs. However, somehow TurboTax still counts the fellowship income I earned as a resident toward my total New Jersey Taxable Income. Why is this happening and how do I fix it? Is it reading what I earned while a Wisconsin resident and subtracting it from my total income, which includes all of my fellowship earnings, to obtain my NJ income?

Please advise. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
savagian

Non-qualified fellowship income earned in New Jersey incorrectly counts toward taxable NJ income - how do I fix this?

I figured out the solution - I deleted both state returns, then started and fully completed (reviewed) my non-resident return (Wisconsin). Only then did I start my resident (and simultaneous non-resident) New Jersey return. This solved the problem. The answer here to a slightly related question helped me out: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3769182-where-do-i-find-taxable-income-from-other-state

View solution in original post

1 Reply
savagian

I figured out the solution - I deleted both state returns, then started and fully completed (reviewed) my non-resident return (Wisconsin). Only then did I start my resident (and simultaneous non-resident) New Jersey return. This solved the problem. The answer here to a slightly related question helped me out: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3769182-where-do-i-find-taxable-income-from-other-state
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies