Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non-qualified annuity disbursement considered pension/401K payment in NJ

I have a 3-year non-qualified annuity and took a partial (10%) distribution from it in 2023.  I received a 1099-R and for some reason TurboTax NJ considers it retirement related and is adding it to my other pension proceeds.  The Federal form is fine.  This results in an error with the NJ form Part D General Rule method (Part D line 2).  Note that for the source of the distribution I checked the box for “None of the above” – I did NOT check the box for “General rule pension or 401(k) benefits”.  Is there an obvious mistake on my part or any suggestions to correct this?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Forgot to mention that I also entered the Distribution codes 7 and D.  Any advice?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If this annuity was reported to you on a 1099-R then it is pension income despite being non-qualified and is being reported correctly.

@Steve-NJ 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for clarifying. I just don't understand why because it was purchased from a regular taxable account that had nothing to do with a pension or 401K.  I'll follow up with them.

In another TT Q&A I saw that deleting a state filing and creating a new one could "reset" the form and correct some apparent errors.  I tired that and it worked!  The error with the NJ form Part D General Rule method (Part D line 2) disappeared and the NJ state filing is good and has no errors.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies