Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NJ 2023 Tax - Part-year resident, Double-taxed income and low NJ tax credit

I (married, joint) am a part-year resident of CT and NJ, working in NY.

I received separate W-2 forms for federal, NY, CT, and NJ based on the days we stayed in CT and NJ (approx. 25%, 75%).  I also noticed NJ W-2 was slightly high, given that NJ did not deduct tax from retirement contributions (401k, ira,hsa). So, adding NJ and CT W-2 income surpassed the Federal and NY income. 

After preparing NY tax and getting the total tax and refund amount, I allocated 25% of the NY tax to CT and received some tax refund on the TurboTax online system as it should be.

For NJ tax, I was given 3 incomes (NY, CT, NJ all different numbers) and checked the NY and CT income boxes, so that I could only report the NJ income.

However, while preparing for NJ return, the double-taxed income was not automatically generated and I had to manually figure out the double-taxed portion of the NJ income: NY income / 75% = NJ double-taxed income, instead of NJ W-2 income which was higher. 

Example: W-2 NJ was $12000, but I calculate the double-taxed income based on NY W-2 $10000 x 75% = $7500 as double-taxed income. 

Also, no matter what numbers I entered here, I received lower tax credit from NY than I expected and the system showed I owed tax to NJ.

For example,

NY total tax: $1000

(My expectation) NJ tax credit: $750 (75%)

(TurboTax) NJ tax credit: $550 (55%), and tax owed to NJ: $100. 

Q1. Did I calculate the double-taxed income correctly? Or should I enter W-2 NJ income as is?

Q2. Why do I get this huge discrepancy in tax credit, and is there a way to correct it using online Turbotax?

Thank you for your time and help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

NJ 2023 Tax - Part-year resident, Double-taxed income and low NJ tax credit

1. Great job in understanding the difference in taxable income between NJ and NY. The NY income at 75% sounds great for the double taxed income based on your description.

2. You get credit for the lower state tax on the lowest taxable amount.

• Each state calculates taxable income differently. 
  • Each state has its own tax rate/ system.
  • You get the lowest of both categories as a tax credit.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies