Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NH resident, Employer in the state of Maine. I worked part time remotely in NH which has no income tax. Can I get a larger tax refund from Maine? If so how do I file ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

NH resident, Employer in the state of Maine. I worked part time remotely in NH which has no income tax. Can I get a larger tax refund from Maine? If so how do I file ?

Genrally, the largest refund you can get from a state is the tax withheld payable to that state

@christopher-smal1 

Understood. However I was working part time in NH. I usually get a small Tax return for being a Non-resident to Maine because I live in NH working a full year. I think I have close to 6 months documented of working days of not physically working in Maine.  Wouldn't I be entitled to a potentially larger return ?

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, your refund will be based on how much of your wages were earned in Maine. 

If you look at your W-2 form, you will see your state information in boxes 15, 16 and 17. Based on what you are saying, I'd expect to see a line with Maine wages and another line with New Hampshire wages. The total of the two should add up to your total wages.

You will be taxed as a nonresident in Maine on the wages listed as Maine wages on your W-2 form. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies