Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NH penalty on Form 2210 for 2020

For tax year 2020, NH postponed their Q1 estimated tax deadline from April 15 to June 15. I made my payment on time (June 11) but TT insists I owe a penalty because I did not make a payment by April 15, a date which I cannot change in Form 2210 (Exceptions and Penalty for the Underpayment of Estimated Tax). I can, of course, put in April 15 for the date of my payment and TT will then say (correctly) that I do not owe a penalty but I'd rather not do that.

Is there a way to use the real payment date and get TT to realize that I do not owe a penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. Per the New Hampshire Technical Information Release TIR 2020-001 Date March 30, 2020 , New Hampshire states that first quarter estimate payments for tax year 2020 calendar year Business Tax and Interest & Dividends Tax taxpayers were due on April 15, 2020

Additionally, I have attached the 2020 Form DP-10-ES below. It shows the due dates of the estimates as: April 15, June 15, September 15 and January 15, 2021

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply, LenaH.

However, the document you linked to supports my assertion that the Q1 estimated tax due date was postponed until June 15 for some taxpayers, and I'm in that group because my 2018 tax liability was less than $10k. See the second paragraph of SECTION B which explicitly says that Q1 2020 estimated taxes for that group will not be assessed interest or penalties if they are paid by June 15.

Here's another document that makes this clearer, particularly in the table at the top of page 3.

It doesn't matter what the DP-10-ES says. The NH DRA rules were changed for 2020 estimated tax payments, and TT currently doesn't handle this situation.

The other reply you got is absolutely correct. You are making penalty calculations for most NH residents based on 04/15/2020 instead of 06/15/2020 due date. For most of us both estimated quarterly payments were due on 06/15/2020. You need to check back with the state and make the needed calculation adjustments. Speak with a knowledgeable NH revenue administration employee.

Thank You

marty18,

I should have written this information long ago.

I took your advice and talked with the DRA the next day and was told that I'm right and TT is not handling it correctly. Having paid Q1 and Q2 estimated taxes by June 15, I do not owe a penalty.

As far as filing is concerned, my solution will be to enter the estimated tax payment data into TT claiming that the Q1 payment was made by April 15 which will result in TT *not* claiming that I need to use Form 2210 to calculate a penalty. I'll file the return without the 2210 and, if the DRA chooses to do the calculations, they'll conclude that I do not owe a penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies