Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bumjung
Returning Member

New York Resident Income

Hi,

I am part-resident of New York where I moved to NY on 4/28/23. I am given the question "Enter any federal income received while you were a resident of New York State. If none, enter zero.

The Interest Income and Dividend Income matches what was put in federal section.

- For the New York State Income column, do I put how much of that I earned in New York?

However, I'm seeing that states "Capital gains and losses = -3000". Where the Turbotax get this value?

- For the New York State Income column, do I add the amount of Capital gains after 4/28/23? 

Token is 1239161. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

New York Resident Income

Yes, you can divide by 12 months then multiply by 8 months in New York (NY) if you earned it fairly evenly throughout the year.  As far as capital gains, if you had an overall loss then this could be correct, it depends on when the sales occurred. If they occurred during your NY residency enter the gain or loss that should apply to NY.

If you need additional assistance after making the appropriate entries, please update here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bumjung
Returning Member

New York Resident Income

My federal capital gain adds to $2,499.87. Of that, $1,698 were gained in New York.

I have capital loss carryover maxed out, so is that why I am seeing -$3,000 for federal income?

But to double confirm, in the New York Income column I should write $1,698?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies