Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

a-concerned-user
Returning Member

New York not calculating underpayment penalty amount on IT-2105.9

I underpaid state taxes this year, well below safe-harbor amounts for New York state and expect to need to pay a penalty. I filed my taxes recently on TurboTax, but went through the generated PDFs afterwards to confirm I filed it correctly. Federally an underpayment penalty was imposed, but for my state taxes, TurboTax has put all my income in the 4th quater on form IT-2105.9, despite the instructions on the form to put 1/4 in each box. This leads to TurboTax saying I have no state underpayment penalty.

I have tried to play around with it, and re-enter the section on underpayment penalties, to no avail. I have also tried selecting "Let the Department of Taxation and Finance calculate it for me", which interestingly causes "SmartCheck" to detect an error on the form calculating my underpayment, that the date filed is wrong (saying the date I chose when not choosing to let the state tax department is in the future and is an error, when it's actually today, which should not be an error?). When this happens, it shows the rest of the form substantially correct in the corrections editor. When I generate a PDF (by starting, but not confirming, the process to file by post, I can't work out another way in the amends system) it does not even show this form, which makes sense, in this version I would be electing to have the state calculate the value for me. I don't feel comfortable sending this choice of filling the form out off to NY state, since I have already filed a IT-2105.9 in the original, and in this version I wouldn't be sending off a new one to amend it.

My question is, why is TurboTax putting all of my income in the 4th quater column, and if this is wrong, how do I get TurboTax to generate a correct IT-2105.9?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

New York not calculating underpayment penalty amount on IT-2105.9

If you are still getting an error, it would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2023" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

The instructions for TurboTax Download:

1. On your menu bar at the very top, click "Online"
  2. Select "Send Tax File to Agent"
  3. Click "Send"
  4. The pop-up will have a token number
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information. 

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies