Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Water45

New York Nonresident Business Allocation Confusion

I was a summer intern working for a company for about 100 days in 2023. Most of my income came from Minnesota, but I also worked in New York for a couple weeks. I argued that the employee handbook says you should not change your tax location if you are working somewhere else for a short time. I was told this only applies for office employees, not field employees. That makes zero sense to me and left me on a sour note with management as countless field employees told me that is not the case. That is behind me now though and I am trying to file my New York State Tax return as I already paid taxes there. It accounted for about 18% of my gross income with the company as I worked 144 hours in the two weeks I was there. I allocated my New York State wages by using (hours worked in NY)/(Total hours with company). That is how I came up with 18%. The next question says "Did you allocate your income to New York based on the volume of business transacted?" I said no. The question I'm stuck on is "Do you need to fill out the Nonresident Business Allocation Schedule to allocate New York State business income?" Do I say yes or no?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

New York Nonresident Business Allocation Confusion

You answer "No."  Income reported on a W-2 is not "business" income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies