Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hanemen3

New Jersey Taxes on Real Estate Transaction

Hello,

My son and his wife were married in 2021.  She previously owned a property from 2018 until March 2021 at which point she sold the property and they moved in with us prior to the wedding in July.  The sale netted about $40K in proceeds. They subsequently used the proceeds of the sale, as well as their own savings, and bought a new home in October 2021.  I assume it is in their best interest to file MFJ but how does NJ handle the sale and subsequent purchase of the homes from a tax perspective?  They are using TurboTax and it appears that they will owe the state approx $1500.  I can't help but think that they are being taxed twice.  Also, are you aware of any good resources covering these situations? 

Many thanks!!

Hanemen

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You almost always pay less tax when married filing jointly than married filing separate.  As long as the house that was sold in March was your daughter-in-law's primary residence for 24 of the 60 months immediately preceding the sale, the gain (up to $250,000) is tax free.    The sale of the house would be reported on the federal tax return, but no gain would be recognized.  The sale is not reported on the state tax return.  For more information, see the following:

Is the money I made from a home sale taxable?

Is it better for a married couple to file jointly or separately?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

your house sale in NJ is reported on NJ-DOP but the capital gains exclusion of $250,000 cancels it out to zero.

NJ follows the Federal capital gains exclusion rule.

You have to enter under Sale of Home to get the exclusion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies