turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Jersey Nonresident form not required but the TurboTax software really wants to charge me to file the second state

I live in Pennsylvania and work for an NJ based company, in NJ and in Pennsylvania.  My employer withholds PA tax per the PA-NJ reciprocal tax agreement; I am not required to file to NJ as I have nothing to report to them.

Starting in 2022, the online version of TurboTax drew me through steps that included paying an extra $59 to file the unneeded form to NJ, that in fact upon submission to NJ caused cryptic errors in the software that on support troubleshooting was based on the fact that the values are all correctly $0.  I was able to resolve this with a support chat, but it was annoying to have to do this and pay for it, when it is strictly not necessary.  

I have just completed my 2023 tax by the extended deadline of Oct 15 2024.  This year I used the desktop version, which fortunately only charges $25 for state e-file, and while the system tried to bring me through steps to submit NJ Nonresident form to NJ, I was successfully able to proceed without an NJ filing in the desktop version  It is unclear if I could maybe have avoided it in the online version but at this point, I plan to never use the online version again.

In 2023 for my 2022 taxes, I did attempt to request a $59 refund from TurboTax for the error-prone, statutorily not-required NJ submission that the online version pulled me through.  Intuit denied this request.  

Overall, I am posting this for awareness - the online version is worse than the desktop version in usability, price for services, and my ability to adhere to my statutory requirements under the PA-NJ reciprocal tax agreement; but it is possible to skip the software's attempt to take my money for an unnecessary service in the desktop version.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

New Jersey Nonresident form not required but the TurboTax software really wants to charge me to file the second state

TomD8
Level 15

If all your non-resident state income is covered by a reciprocal agreement (which remember applies only to wages & salaries), then the key in TurboTax is to answer NO to the question in the Personal Info section that asks if you made money in other states.  Answering NO will prevent the program from generating an unneeded state return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies