Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to confirm that I do not need to file taxes in the state of Delaware

Hello,

My wife works in DE and we live in PA. She drives to DE everyday for her job then comes back to PA (an hour of driving each direction). TurboTax says "I do not need to prepare taxes in DE based on the information I entered" I need to confirm that please. Also She paid all the taxes in DE and nothing for PA. When I did the PA taxes I assume that it credited us. 

Another question, her job requires her to travel to NJ then come back the same day to PA (abut twice a month).  Do we need to file taxes in NJ? She has a W2 for PA, DE and NJ  (not money made in each state but total money make of the 3 locations)   Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Need to confirm that I do not need to file taxes in the state of Delaware

The income your wife earns in Delaware is taxable by Delaware, as well as by her home state of PA.  If she files her DE return as Married Filing Separately, then you do not need to file a separate DE return since you have no DE-source income.  In the Personal Info section of TT, she should indicate that she had other state income from DE.

Assuming she is a W-2 employee, the income she earns in NJ is not taxable by NJ due to the reciprocal between the two states.  However, if her employer mistakenly withheld NJ taxes from her pay, she'd have to file a non-resident NJ return (claiming zero NJ income) in order to obtain a refund.  If NJ taxes were withheld from her pay, then she should also indicate in Personal Info that she had other state income from NJ.

ALL her income is taxable by her resident state of PA, regardless of where earned.  PA will allow her to claim a credit for the taxes paid to DE, so she won't be double-taxed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies