Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

need overseas income pay state tax in massachusetts?

Hi

I have 2 questions, 

A:  I have an overseas salary( already paid tax in China).  The salary need not pay Federal Tax. Need I pay state tax in MA?

B: How to fill the personal exemption、dependent exemption in the software? It seems that not automatically filled in by the software.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Are you MA resident?

An individual is considered to be a Massachusetts resident, for income tax purposes, if the individual: 

(i)  is domiciled in Massachusetts; and/or

(ii) maintains a permanent place of abode in Massachusetts and spends more than 183 days of the taxable year in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts does not allow the foreign earned income exclusion. A Massachusetts resident is taxed on foreign earned income even if such income is earned during a temporary or protracted absence from Massachusetts.  

A non-resident, however, is taxed only on income derived from or connected to sources in Massachusetts. 

TurboTax will automatically fill the personal exemption but you need to make sure you've set up your personal information correctly in the federal personal Info section/ My Info. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Are you MA resident?

An individual is considered to be a Massachusetts resident, for income tax purposes, if the individual: 

(i)  is domiciled in Massachusetts; and/or

(ii) maintains a permanent place of abode in Massachusetts and spends more than 183 days of the taxable year in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts does not allow the foreign earned income exclusion. A Massachusetts resident is taxed on foreign earned income even if such income is earned during a temporary or protracted absence from Massachusetts.  

A non-resident, however, is taxed only on income derived from or connected to sources in Massachusetts. 

TurboTax will automatically fill the personal exemption but you need to make sure you've set up your personal information correctly in the federal personal Info section/ My Info. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies