Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PA-40 doesn't show that my Spouse died before filing as the Federal 1040 does. Is this not required for the state?

My wife died before I submitted our taxes after the end of the tax year. I changed the status for the Federal and this was placed on top of the 1040. Should the PA-40 also show that my spouse died in 2019 or is that only for the tax year? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

PA-40 doesn't show that my Spouse died before filing as the Federal 1040 does. Is this not required for the state?

My wife was buried 3 days ago. I have other things I need to deal with other than bugs in s/w.

I played around with the PA Info Worksheet and overrode the Spouse Date of Death, changing it to 2018. This then updated the PA-40 form, so this answers my own question. Also, I downloaded a pdf of the PA-40 from the state site, which has 2018 as the year of death, not allowing you to enter a different year other than the tax year. Since there is no place to indicate why my spouse has not signed the form I will include this worksheet and type "Deceased on 4/5/19" in place of her signature.

Turbo tax said I can file joint in 2019 even though spouse died 3/2/19 for federal, but PA doesn't allow that and must file separately. Do I file married separate, or single please advise. thank you

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

in this case, you would need to file two returns.  One return filing jointly in the federal return.  in this return, do not file a state return because it will also require to file the state return jointly.

The second return you will file married filing separately.  the federal return is like a dummy return and that return you will not file. Instead, you will indicate that you will file your federal by mail and you will efile your PA return as married filing separately.

You can file these returns two ways.  You will need a separate account to Marry Filing jointly  then another to file your Married Filing Separate if you file with Turbo Tax online. Here is the link to order the Turbo Tax Desktop program download to your computer

The best solution to order a Turbo Tax desktop account through Turbo Tax.This way you can prepare multiple accounts using the same software. Please review this link for more detail as this will tell you what to do after your download is downloaded to your computer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies