Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My State tax return was rejected because I filed before the updated forms were sent out.

My State tax return was rejected because I filed before the updated forms were sent out.

I am not sure whether or not I need to amend my tax return or whether I just need to have it resubmitted as an e-filed return. The updated forms made it look like there was an extra calculation which reduced my original State tax return from $54 down to $1.

There might be a catch because I chose to donate the original $54 and it is possible that my donations may be affecting the calculation software or something. I do not know what the " Oregon Form 40, 40N and 40P " updates calculate but the turbotax system popped up an error after I got the updates and ran my original filing through the review system. The final review stated that I cannot donate more than I am supposed to get as a return, and the edit window that popped up would not allow me to alter any of the fields I was being shown so I had to go back and redo my State tax return manually.

Some of the sections in the State tax return were a little bit misleading the second time around. I was under the impression that I had to remove the donations so I proceeded to remove the donations. After I removed my donations there was a section asking if I needed to change the previous tax return. When I followed the prompts to amend my rejected tax return, the value of my State tax return went back up to $54 because it asked me what the original balance was.

I am not sure if I am just doing something wrong or what I should do about my rejected tax return at this point.

I get the impression that the updated " Oregon Form 40, 40N and 40P " has something to do with the second stimulus checks that were sent out in January 2021. I received both the first and the second stimulus and provided that information in my original return. I am not sure what the updated forms calculate, but I do not know what I need to fix on my tax return and I do not know if I should be getting less of a return with the updated calculations.

I am not sure if I will be able to delete what I  have done with the amendment process, but at this point I am not even sure if I need to even amend my original filing that was rejected. If I am able to delete what I have tried to amend, I might be able to resubmit my original filing with the updated forms that turbotax provides. I would just need to find out how to work around the error message that pops up which makes it look like I am only supposed to get $1 back instead of the original $54.

If I do need to amend my tax return, as I have tried to do, I am not sure what should be done about the calculations. 

I need help and do not know how to reach out to the tax experts, either, because I paid for a download of turbotax delux rather than using the online version.... I am hoping that asking the audience will be just as good.

Does anyone know if the updated forms affect the amount of return we should ultimately receive?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

When your return is REJECTED, you get to EDIT/UPDATE until it is correct, then submit it again.

Review your changes carefully.

whatever was wrong,  if anything, about the old forms doesn't matter since you are now working with the new forms.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies