Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scabbot

My RI tax credit (paid nonresident taxes to MA) is less than 3% of what I paid to MA - is that right?

Resident of Rhode Island with zero RI income.

Nonresident of Massachusetts, taxes withheld there (obviously).

My RI credit for taxes paid to another state is 2.92%. So... correct? Seems low, I thought RI was at least 5%.

Thanks folks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My RI tax credit (paid nonresident taxes to MA) is less than 3% of what I paid to MA - is that right?

It depends.  When you work in a different state, your resident state will give you a credit for the tax you pay to the nonresident state.  However, they only give a credit up to the amount that they would tax the same income.  

So, let's say you earned 40K, and the Massachusetts tax on that is $2,000.  Potentially, you will get a $2,000 credit on your Rhode Island taxes.  However, RI only charges $1,000 on that same 40K.  Your credit will be $1,000, which brings your RI tax down to zero.  Rhode Island will not refund you the difference.

However, if RI tax on the same income is $2200, then you do get the full $2000 credit, and would have to pay the $200 difference to RI.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  When you work in a different state, your resident state will give you a credit for the tax you pay to the nonresident state.  However, they only give a credit up to the amount that they would tax the same income.  

So, let's say you earned 40K, and the Massachusetts tax on that is $2,000.  Potentially, you will get a $2,000 credit on your Rhode Island taxes.  However, RI only charges $1,000 on that same 40K.  Your credit will be $1,000, which brings your RI tax down to zero.  Rhode Island will not refund you the difference.

However, if RI tax on the same income is $2200, then you do get the full $2000 credit, and would have to pay the $200 difference to RI.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies