turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcrmgf
Returning Member

MY RETURN CANNOT BE EFILED AS IT SAYS CHARLES SCHWAB CAPITAL WORKSHEET NEEDS REMOVALOF PRECEEDING SPACES OR INVALID CHARACTERS

I SEE MY 1099 FROM SCHWAB  has all short term gains
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

MY RETURN CANNOT BE EFILED AS IT SAYS CHARLES SCHWAB CAPITAL WORKSHEET NEEDS REMOVALOF PRECEEDING SPACES OR INVALID CHARACTERS

The preceding spaces or invalid characters are probably in the descriptions of one or more of the securities that you sold. Go back and delete them, then see if you can e-file. Delete any spaces at the beginning of a description. Any character that's not a letter or number can be deleted.

It has nothing to do with whether the transactions are gains or losses, or whether they are short-term or long-term.

If you have further questions, please turn off Caps Lock.

mcrmgf
Returning Member

i deleted the form as someone from turbo tax gave me instruction i  efiled my return  now in few weeks have to amend to get my credit for 72800 investment in OZ the stock which is opportunity zone.  i figure get my refund then show which cap gains should be shown that qualify for deferral.  i had extension.  ny doesn participate in opportunity zone.  leaving opportunity zone off was only way to efile for me

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In your original question here you didn't say that the problem involved an Opportunity Zone investment. In the question that you posted last week we told you that TurboTax does not support deferring gain by investing in an Opportunity Zone. Was it a code Z on Form 8949 that TurboTax was saying was invalid? TurboTax does not allow code Z. There is no way to enter it. You will not be able to file your amended return with TurboTax.

As mentioned in the other thread, some people have tried various workarounds. It's not clear how successful any of them were in filing a correct tax return and having it processed by the IRS. As you were told last week, the workarounds can only be done in the CD/Download TurboTax software, not in TurboTax Online, and they cancel the TurboTax accuracy guarantee. One workaround that was referenced in your other thread last week requires using a PDF editor to fudge the forms that TurboTax creates. And all of the workarounds require filing by mail. There is no way to e-file with TurboTax with an Opportunity Zone investment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies