Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My previous employer had taxes taken out for my state. But they did not give the correct withholding number on my w2. I tried to contact them, but they won't respond.

They put their federal EIN as their withholding number. The payroll was processed by intuit. But they stopped using intuit when they ran out of money so intuit never sent me the w2. Is there a way for intuit to give me my withholding number? So I can submit my taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

My previous employer had taxes taken out for my state. But they did not give the correct withholding number on my w2. I tried to contact them, but they won't respond.

Since you did not receive a w2, you file Form 4852 as a substitute w2.

The form 4852 is a last resort. This is what the form says:

If you don’t receive the missing or corrected form from your employer or payer by the end of February, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 for assistance. You must provide your name, address (including ZIP code), phone number, social security number, and dates of employment. You must also provide your employer’s or payer’s name, address (including ZIP code), and phone number. The IRS will contact your employer or payer and request the missing form.

Because of this, you cannot e-file a return with a 4852, it must be mailed in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies