turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rcomfort1

My New York state return last year (2017) had a Resident Credit of $656. This year (2018) it is $0. What would cause the removal of that credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Cindy0H

My New York state return last year (2017) had a Resident Credit of $656. This year (2018) it is $0. What would cause the removal of that credit?

This is a nonrefundable credit. Do you have NY tax liability this year..line 39 of the IT-201?
rcomfort1

Thank you for your response. Yes I have tax liability in line 39 on the IT-201. Could last year have had a credit because it was my first year filing in NY? We moved from Michigan in 2017.
ChristieB

Did you have any out of state income in 2018?
rcomfort1

My wife had out of state income in 2017, but not in 2018.
rcomfort1

Thank you!  I appreciate your help with my question!
ChristieB

You are very welcome!
ChristieB

Unfortunately, one of the requirements of the Resident Credit is out of state income: 

• you had income sourced to and taxed by another state, a local government within another state, the District of Columbia, or a Canadian province. (This income generally includes wages, business income, etc. It typically excludes interest, dividends, gambling winnings, lottery winnings, etc.)

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/resident_credit.htm

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies