Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband worked remotely 2023 we live in NJ. The company has a CT address, but his reporting office was in PA. On his W2 it only mentions NJ. Would he file nonresident?

PA and NJ have reciprocity, but nowhere on his W2 does it mention anything about PA. Does he file nonresident?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

My husband worked remotely 2023 we live in NJ. The company has a CT address, but his reporting office was in PA. On his W2 it only mentions NJ. Would he file nonresident?

W-2 compensation paid to NJ residents employed in PA is not subject to PA income tax. Therefore he does not file a PA tax return. Additionally, unless he physically worked within CT during the tax year, he has no tax obligation to CT. Bottom line: unless he physically worked in CT, he files taxes only in his home state of NJ. All his income is taxable by NJ.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Hi, similar situation here - working remotely in NJ for a PA-based company but W-2 only states NJ in Box 15. Given the reciprocity, I would only need to file NJ state tax, correct? Tysm!

TomD8
Level 15

Correct.  W-2 income paid to a resident of NJ by a PA employer is not subject to  PA state income tax.  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies