Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TODAY!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

schotzie2

My husband receives a W2 from Maryland. We reside in PA. Do I need to file a return for Maryland in addition to PA?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My husband receives a W2 from Maryland. We reside in PA. Do I need to file a return for Maryland in addition to PA?

no; there is a reciprocity agreement between the two states, so you only file where you live.  

You would have to file in MD if the employer withheld MD state taxes so you get your money back.  Suggest getting the employer to withhold PA and not MD. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What exactly do you mean by "from Maryland"? Does he work in Maryland? Does he work remotely (telecommute) in Pennsylvania for a company that is located in Maryland? Or does he work at a Pennsylvania location of a company that has its headquarters in Maryland?

It makes no difference where the company's headquarters (or payroll office) is located. The employer's address on the W-2 doesn't matter. If your husband works at a company location in Pennsylvania, his income is from Pennsylvania.

What state is in box 15 of his W-2? If it's PA, his income is from Pennsylvania and Maryland is not involved.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies