Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 24 year old child is away from ny state going to law school in vermont but her mailing address is still in ny state, how do i file her residency

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

My 24 year old child is away from ny state going to law school in vermont but her mailing address is still in ny state, how do i file her residency

If your daughter intends to return home after college, her tax residence is still in NY state as the IRS considers absences for attending college as temporary absences.

See this IRS document.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

Be aware that if she works in the state of Vermont, then at year's end she'll have to file state tax returns for both VT and NY.  VT can tax her as a non-resident on income earned in VT; NY can tax her as a resident on ALL her income, including that from VT.  In this situation she'd be credited by NY for the taxes paid to VT, so she wouldn't be double-taxed.  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies