Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rikkwin

Multistate filing, CA resident working for FL company while touring in several states

Both my wife and I worked for a touring company that sent us each individually 6 w-2s (6 for her and 6 for me, we will be filing jointly) including one labelled in box 15 without a state and in Employer's state ID no it says: TOTAL STATE and in box 20 it says: TOTAL CITY. All fields in the 6 w-2s are identical aside from boxes 15-20. Turbo tax only shows two boxes: one for the applicable state information and an extra for additional state information. If I submit all 6 w-2s separately or in pairs it shows my income as the sum of all submitted w-2s even though they are the same total income with only different state information. Additionally, the TOTAL STATE w-2 forces me to pick an associated city and I do not know what it wants from that. Should I enter the state I live in which is California or the state in which my employer is located which is Florida?

p.s. if it helps: the majority of my income from the year was from a California company on a separate w-2

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Multistate filing, CA resident working for FL company while touring in several states

The six W-2's that are the same except for State Info can be entered as one W-2, with multiple State Lines in Boxes 15-20.

If the state lines show no State Tax Withheld for that state, leave them out. 

You will want to file a Non-Resident State Return to those states that you paid tax to so you can get that possibly refunded to you.

What you may need to do (if not broken out in the state lines on the W-2) is calculate how much income you earned in the state you paid tax to. 

For example, if one State Line says IL and your whole income is listed, in TurboTax enter just the income earned in that state (which you may need to calculate) and tax withheld for that state. 

You don't need to enter anything for your employer's state, except their address when entering the W-2.  California is your resident state and all your income is taxed there.

Then each state return will only pick up the income earned there/tax paid there. 

Prepare the non-resident returns first, then report your total income to your Resident State, along with taxes you paid to other states.  They will give you credit for them on your Resident return.

Click this link for more info on How to File a Non-Resident State Return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies