Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Multiple States

Hello, 

In 2023 my job was in RI but I was still a CT resident. 

So for the whole year 2023 I withheld CT and RI state income tax on each paycheck.

Except the thing is I moved to MA in beginning of 2023 and while still working same job in RI. 

Forgot to update my address with HR, so they never withheld any MA state income tax. They continued to withhold CT and RI. 

From what I understand, I would file a nonresident return in CT and enter $0 for income. 

That works and gives me full refund of what I paid. My main question is, when filing partial year resident for MA and RI, do I owe any tax? CT has a higher tax rate than MA and RI so it would be less owed than in CT. I assume I would simply get a credit back from MA and RI to make up for what I paid to CT. 

Thanks in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Multiple States

You could file a Non-Resident return to both Rhode Island and Connecticut, since you basically lived in Massachusetts all year.

Or, depending on the date you left CT, you could report some income/tax paid there on a Part-Year Resident return. 

As a Resident, MA will tax all your income, but give you credit for tax paid to other states.

Here's more info on How to File a Non-Resident State Return and Allocating Income for a Part-Year Resident.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies