Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xenkimoan

Moving to state no income tax

Hi,

I have a unique scenario regarding to my state income tax hope to be able to get some clarification.

I moved in July from Minnesota to Texas where there is no state income tax. I know I will need to file part-year for Minnesota from Jan to July and part-year for Texas from July to end of the year. What tricky is my payroll has been deducting MN state income up to September because I miss updating my Texas address in the payroll system. So basically I've been paying MN state tax from July to September when I was not supposed to. I would like to know how to reclaim the state tax deducted from July to September.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Simple solution ... just file the part year return correctly ... you will only report the MN income on the MN return and the excess MN withholding will be refunded on the MN return.  The employer should correctly report the MN income on the W-2 ... have a conversation NOW to make sure this is done properly in January ... if they issue it wrong have it corrected ASAP. 

xenkimoan

Thanks for the advice in explaining this. I will let the employer know to address this properly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies