Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PR29

Moved from UT to NC; how to report dividends (1099-DIV) and proceeds (1099-B) as part-year resident in two states

I moved in April from Utah to North Carolina and have questions about how to report dividends and proceeds from mutual fund sales. 

1- On the 1099-DIV, my mutual fund company lists my funds, then lists the dividends earned by type (total, qualified, etc). There are no dates on the general form. Do I need to go through all the details of every fund to see when dividends were earned vis a vis my move date, then allocate accordingly? 

2- As regards the dividends, I have bond earnings that are tax-exempt and others that are exempt in Utah. I don't know how to include that in all the part-year resident calculations.

3- The 1099-B does include sale dates. Do I report proceeds earned while I lived in UT to Utah and lived in NC to NC?

Thank you. 

I only earned income (W-2) in NC. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Moved from UT to NC; how to report dividends (1099-DIV) and proceeds (1099-B) as part-year resident in two states

Allocating unearned income is pretty straightforward: just allocate it to the state you were a resident of when you received it.   Here are some examples of how to allocate earned and unearned income.   So, yes, you should handle the dividends the same way as the 1099-B - you have to figure out when you received the dividends proceeds; you should be able to get dated transactions to help you allocate the dividends between NC and UT.    

Enter everything on the federal return.  TurboTax transfers all income to the state returns.  When you go through the part-year return state interviews, you will be able to remove or add amounts that were transferred from the federal return.   Look for Income Adjustments (additions or subtractions) or Let's see how NC/UT handles income differently screens to adjust for state tax-exempt amounts.  

Preparing Part Year Returns

Filing Returns in Multiple States

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies