Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved from one state to another, same employer. On W-2, see prior state earnings. New state lists total earnings both states, W-2 Local wages do not equal difference.

This is causing discrepancy in state tax forms as I cannot change numbers populated.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Moved from one state to another, same employer. On W-2, see prior state earnings. New state lists total earnings both states, W-2 Local wages do not equal difference.

Enter your w-2 exactly how you see it.  There is a button + Additional State/Local Tax you can use to add lines as needed.   You will be able to allocate your income when you go through the state returns.   For instructions, see the links below.   Make sure you have your move date recorded in the personal information section.   

How do I file a part-year return?

How do I allocate my income for part-year returns?  You do this when you go through the state returns.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am unclear as to where I need to add additional state/local tax lines to help with this problem.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It would depend on what states you are dealing with. Some states tax you on all income earned including income earned in another state. Then you have to look for a credit for taxes paid to another state in TurboTax to get a credit for income that is doubled taxed. Also, some states like New York tax you on all income, then adjust your tax to compensate based on the percentage of income earned in other states.

So, your state income may be stated properly on the W-2 form. Local wages should represent the wages earned in the local municipality listed on 20 of your W-2 form. If you could clarify what state has only that state's income and which one has the total income we may be able to help you better. Also the amount of the local tax and state income tax on that W-2 and which state that is please.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies