Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved from NJ to NYC, still work in NJ

Seen a lot of posts about moving from NJ to NYC, but most of those places of employment were in NYC. I'm still working in NJ, not sure if the process is any different, as when I fill out the part-year residency for both states it says I owe an amount that feels wrong.

I resided in a NJ property from Nov. 2022 - Nov. 2023, and moved in to NYC on Nov. 5th 2023. My income has not changed in the past 3 years, and I've normally never owed state taxes, but between NJ and NY I now owe over 3k.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Moved from NJ to NYC, still work in NJ

It depends. There are a few steps you need to take when moving and continuing to work in the former resident state.

1. You will complete part year resident for each state, New York (NY) and New Jersey (NJ).
  2. NJ - will tax your income for the whole year even though part of the year you didn't live there. There is no reciprocal agreement with NY so NJ wants the tax from income you receive physically working in NJ. 
    1. When you complete the NJ return use a reasonable method to calculate the tax on only the income earned while living in NY.  That method would be to take the NJ income earned while living in NY and divide it by the total income for the year.  This will give you the percentage to multiply by the total tax liability on the NJ return.  The result will be needed on the NY tax return for the NY residency period.
  3. NY - You will include the income earned during your residency period on this part year return. Only that income should be taxed on the NY return.  And because it is being taxed on NJ you will receive the following credit. Watch the screens while preparing the NY return and enter the information you calculated above (income and tax for the NY residency period reported on the NJ return).

The credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income is used on your resident state because they do not want you to pay taxes twice on the same income.  As the resident state all worldwide income must be included.

The credit for tax paid to another state on the same income will be the lesser of:

1. the tax liability actually charged by the nonresident state, OR
  2. the tax liability that would have been charged by your resident state

NY tax is likely higher than NJ so you could still have a small balance due.  This will take manual intervention on your part because of the detail to your situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies