Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Montana Part-Year Resident Taxable Income Doesn't Make Sense to Me

I have looked through the MT state tax return instructions, searched through the forums, and seen a lot of posts related to Montana using the federal taxable income as the base for calculating the Montana taxable income, but I am still confused. 

Last year I lived in Colorado until the fall of 2023, when I moved to Montana. I inputted all of the information related to this move into TurboTax. When doing the state return, it asked me to input my source income for the months I lived in Montana, so that it could calculate my part-year resident ratio. I did all of that, but when I got to the Montana Tax Return Summary, my Montana Taxable Income still reflected my federal income. It was the Montana adjusted income (total federal income minus restaurant tips I made in Colorado) minus standard deductions and personal exemptions. This amount was still well above the total income I made while living in Montana. 

Is anyone able to explain why this would be? Is this a bug/problem with TurboTax, or does the Montana Taxable Income shown on the Montana Tax Return Summary not reflect the actual taxed amount that comes from the source income and part-year resident ratio?

I saw some people mention the Credit for Income Tax Paid to Another State or Country Schedule. Should I be filling this section out and put my total Colorado income in there?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
sarareddy

Montana Part-Year Resident Taxable Income Doesn’t Make Sense to Me either. Cheers! 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Montana calculates a tax liability based on your full income for the year to start the calculation. Then, it prorates it based on your Montana percentage of income. See page 8 for the calculation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies