Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MN Property Tax filing and additional non-taxable income

I have completed my federal and state filing with TurboTax Deluxe desktop.  Now working on my Minnesota property taxes.  Using example numbers, I have $2000 in 401k contributions for 2023 (box 12 D on W2) and $8000 in ROTH contributions (part on my W2 and part outside of 401k).  TurboTax enters the $2000 for line 5 of M1PR "additional nontaxable income" which makes sense to me since the ROTH is all post-tax.

On the MN tax website, filling out the online form, there is a space for "Deductions taken on federal return - IRA" which I assume is for traditional IRAs.  Then it asks if we made contributions for a qualified retirement plan and lists (Qualified retirement plans include: 401K, 403B, IRA, Roth IRA, and 457).  The amount I enter here reduces the total household income.  If I put the full $10,000 in I get a $650 refund.  If I just put in the $2000, I get zero.

To make it more confusing, I received a letter saying I forgot the "deferred compensation" on my 2020 property tax refund and they say it should be additional income and I need to pay back what I was refunded.  The amount listed is my 401k (not ROTH) contribution.

How can it increase my income in 2020 and decrease it in 2023?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies