Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lsims
Returning Member

Missouri residents working in Texas

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q What are my options to discuss with my company payroll department?

A. Say thank you, for finally getting it right after 20 years.

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. 

When you worked in a state without an income tax (e.g. Texas ), there will be no credit, since there was no TX tax. In other words, having worked in a state without an income tax does not get you out of paying state tax on that income, to your home state.

It sounds like you may need to file 20 years worth of back taxes for MO. 

Lsims
Returning Member

I haven’t live in Missouri for 20 years, I was referring to working in Texas for over 20 years as a non resident and never had any state income taxes withheld regardless of my state of residence.

All but nine states impose income tax on earnings.

And each one sets its own parameters for determining who must file a return and who owes income tax.

To say the states' rules are "all over the map" is apt here.

There are rules governing taxation of people working remotely for in-state and out-of-state employers. There are rules that will trigger the income tax for non-residents after they work instate for more than a minimum amount of time or earn a minimum amount of money doing so. And I’ve worked remotely from a state for more than 183 days last year, as much as 300 days a year, but no less than 200, I am characterized as a resident for tax purposes. Fact check that please will you, thanks 

Hal_Al
Level 15

It doesn't matter what the resident state is.  The general rule applies in every state.  Having worked in a state without an income tax does not get you out of paying state tax on that income, to your home state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies