Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ddm421

Why is my income from colorado showing up on my Minnesota return? I have completed CO state return for my income and MN state return for my husband's

My income is being double stated between the CO return and the MN return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Why is my income from colorado showing up on my Minnesota return? I have completed CO state return for my income and MN state return for my husband's

Your domicile state (MN) can tax ALL your income, regardless of where you earn it.  Other states (CO in your case) can tax you as a non-resident for income earned by physically working within their borders.  But you'll normally be able to take a credit on your home state's return for taxes paid to the non-resident state, so you won't be double-taxed.

This FAQ explains how to file a non-resident state return in TurboTax:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901271-how-do-i-file-a-nonresident-state-return

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

In what state is your domicile (your permanent residence)?
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
ddm421

Minnesota
TomD8
Level 15

Your domicile state (MN) can tax ALL your income, regardless of where you earn it.  Other states (CO in your case) can tax you as a non-resident for income earned by physically working within their borders.  But you'll normally be able to take a credit on your home state's return for taxes paid to the non-resident state, so you won't be double-taxed.

This FAQ explains how to file a non-resident state return in TurboTax:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901271-how-do-i-file-a-nonresident-state-return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies