Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Minnesota IRA deduction for people 70 1/2

If the spouse over age 70 1/2 is told to stay away from the worksheet, how can they enter their contribution?

It is the other spouse that fills out the worksheet. ergo the other spouse under 70 1/2 enters their contribution.

Note: I'm not from MN ; and that is one kooky worksheet !

After reading this thread I am still confused.  My wife is 67.  I am 72.  We file a joint return. We made a contribution to my wife's  IRA.  We did not make a contribution to my IRA.  When using TT and doing Minnesota taxes after completing federal taxes,  TT tells me that because I made a contribution to my IRA and am over 70.5 years old,  the amount of the contribution is being added back in for Minnesota taxes.  I do not understand this as the contribution was to my wife's IRA.  Is TT correct in the wording stating it was a contribution to my IRA?    

I believe TT is in error with adding this back in to your MN income (and stating it was your contribution). I have contacted the MN DOR and they agree with me and supposedly have contacted TT to correct. I had this issue starting several weeks ago and have contacted TT on several occasions to correct - however, it is hard to connect with anyone at TT who is in a position to review their program for an error. I contacted the MN DOR once again this week and they tell me they will once again contact TT to correct. Not sure what else can be done.

No, there have not been any updates.

@JB2720 

" Is TT correct in the wording stating it was a contribution to my IRA?    "

whether or not the wording is correct, it is the spouse under age 70 1/2 that does the worksheet so it is your wife's contribution that gets entered.

See my post above.

If you IRA contribution is a deductible traditional IRA on the federal tax return, the federal AGI will be you income less the contribution - it is subtracted from your other income. If you file a MN tax return, the MN tax form starts with the Federal AGI. Therefore, the IRA contribution is not included in you starting MN income. The issue with the MN return software is that it adds the contribution back into MN income. It does so for the spouse under 70 1/2 on line 2 of the M1NC - even though that line asks for the IRA contribution for those over 70 1/2. TT and their people will tell you that you then need complete the worksheet for line 33 of the M1NC. They maintain that this worksheet will have a negative number and that will zero out the line 2 addition. The issue with this is the this worksheet is intended only for the filer who has an emplyer retirement plan at work. In our case, my spouse does not have a plan at work, however, TT still insists that we complete the worksheet. In our case, completing the worksheet does not zero out the line 2 addition.

You probably want to do an override and file your state tax return on paper at the Post Office.

You can't figure TurboTax will fix its bugs by Tax Day.

TurboTax Online Premier 2020 calculated the taxable amount on my return with Form 8915-E incorrectly. I didn't file with TurboTax.

In October before the extension deadline, I went back and reentered my situation. The bug was still there.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies