Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drecwi
Returning Member

Minnesota form M1PR - line 2

After searching for answers from TurboTax and the State of Minnesota instructions for M1PR, I wonder if TurboTax is incorrect in adding money on line 2 of the form that is already included in line 1. Line 2 on this form, turns out to be the amount from my Social Security benefit from my Federal AGI that is not taxable on my Federal 1040.  Even though it is included on line 1 if M1PR, TurboTax adds that money back in, in spite of the form stating that money entered on this line is to be that which is not included in line 1.  If I do form M1PR manually, it makes a difference for me of receiving $410 more for my property tax refund.  I called in to the TurboTax help line, and the best they could do for me was to send a link to the instructions from Minnesota for M1PR.   Line 2 is not one that can be edited on the TurboTax state form.   If I don't understand this, I will try to talk to someone in the Minnesota Department of Revenue.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is correctly reporting the nontaxable portion of Social Security benefits on line 2 of the Minnesota form M1PR.

Minnesota form M1PR line 1 reports the Federal adjusted gross income from the Federal 1040 tax return.  This amount will include the taxable portion of Social Security benefits.

The instructions for Minnesota form M1PR line 2 explains that the amount of Social Security benefits which should be entered on line 2 is:

• Total Social Security benefits
  • Less taxable portion of Social Security benefits
  • Equals nontaxable portion of Social Security benefits.

The instructions for Minnesota for M1PR lines 1 and 2, page 8, may be found here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
drecwi
Returning Member

Thank you.  I still question the wording of line 2 on M1PR.   It says:

Nontaxable Social Security and/or Railroad Board benefits received and not included in line 1 above (determine from instructions).    The amount that they (Minnesota Dept of Revenue) are instructing me to put in by way of a 3 line worksheet in the instructions is again money that is included in line 1 above.     If nothing else, the wording is redundant.     If I can meet with the Minnesota Dept of Revenue, I will take this up with them before filing my M1PR.    I will also report back to this thread.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies