Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ame888

Military family with my nonresident state of CA and wife is Idaho - early tax withdrawal

I'm active duty military with my home state being California. I'm stationed in Idaho where my wife has residency. She cashed out her retirement after leaving her job, which was only a few hundred dollars. She paid federal taxes on it at withdrawal. I'm a California nonresident when filing taxes. Why is Turbotax automatically making us pay taxes on it to CA? It's not much but that income was in my wife's name and she's an Idaho resident so not sure why it's transferring over to the CA return. I believe it had us pay taxes on that withdrawal to Idaho already. It has the amount transferring over to the NONSIMPLE box and asks if the CA amount is different to enter that. Do we enter 0 as it wasn't CA income or do we leave it as the amt that it was and pay the small tax on it? Seems silly for 2 states to tax that. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Military family with my nonresident state of CA and wife is Idaho - early tax withdrawal

Yes, enter 0 as it is not California income because your wife's State of Legal Residence is Idaho.

Just an FYI to you, California is your Home of Record state and you are a legal resident of the state for tax reporting purposes unless you make the change with the military. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ame888

Thank you for your reply. Your comment helped us immensely. And you are correct - we did do CA as resident for myself and ID as resident for my wife.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies