turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kesuchyta
Returning Member

Michigan Schedule 1; Token Number 1218798

I am doing my Michigan state taxes. In Michigan Schedule 1, both my CPA and I think line 26 should be calculating instead of line 27 (which is calculating). The instructions for line 26 indicate the line should completed if the older of you or your spouse (if married) was born during the period Jan 1, 1953 through Jan 1, 1957, and reached age 67 on or before Dec 31, 2023. Line 24 correctly shows my spouse as being born in 1954 and being 69 as of 12/31/2023. So, why is line 27 calculating and not line 26?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Michigan Schedule 1; Token Number 1218798

If we assume your spouse did not retire in 2013, and TurboTax is correct by not checking either box G or H on line 24. By completing Worksheet 2 in the instructions the amount on line 11, would be $14,007 which is significantly less than the pension allowed on line 27.  For this reason TurboTax used the most advantageous method and amount for your tax return.

Per Schedule 1 instructions for line 26:

If the older of you or your spouse (if filing a joint return) was born during the period January 1, 1953 through January 1, 1957, and reached the age of 67 on or before December 31, 2023, you may be eligible to deduct the larger of either: your Michigan Standard Deduction against all income types, or your retirement and pension subtraction. You are considered 67 the day before your 67th birthday.   After completing the worksheet it is clear the best option was to complete line 27.  

Thank you for your token.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies