Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

russell29
Returning Member

Massachusetts State

I am a resident of Massachusetts working on our Personal 2023 State Tax Return.  In 2023, we had a former employer qualified 401K program that was being discontinued.  We elected to roll it over into a Rollover IRA.  The former 401K program issued a check that we deposited into a qualified Rollover IRA.  We got a 1099-R from the former program.  On the 1099-R, the following boxes were filled in (all others are blank or unchecked): Gross Distribution (xx,xxx.xx), Taxable Amount (0.00), Total Distribution (checked), Federal Income Tax Withheld (0.00), Distribution Code (G), State Tax Withheld (0.00), State/Payer's state no (MA-XXXXXXXXX), all other boxes are blank or unchecked.

Everything in the Federal Taxes section was inputed correctly.  When working on the State Taxes area, the following questions/inputs occurred: Is the Retirement Distribution an excludable distribution in Massachusetts - this was answered "No", the responses guide you to select No if it's a rollover to another retirement account; the next screen shows the former program name, Type is blank and amount is "0"; the next screen is entitled Pension Adjustment - Federally Taxable - It says, "we need to know if your $0 pension income that was reported as fully taxable on your federal return needs to be adjusted (reduced) only for Massachusetts."  There is a box below that entitled "Non-Taxable Massachusetts Pensions", there is a "0" in that box; the next screen is entitled "Retirement Reduction Results" and states "Based on the information entered into your federal return you qualify for a retirement contribution reduction of $2,000 on your Massachusetts return."

When I reviewed the return generated for Mass State taxes it shows the $2,000 deduction.  I want to make sure this is being handled properly by the TurboTax software.  This section is a bit confusing and in talking with a friend who is a tax accountant, he and I both didn't understand why we qualify for this deduction.  Is this being handled properly by the TurboTax software?

Thank you very much

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Massachusetts State

Since the amount is $2,000 I am thinking it is not related to your rollover. From 2023 Form 1 Instructions:

Line 11. Amount Paid to Social Security (FICA), Medicare, Railroad, U.S. or Massachusetts Retirement Systems If you have paid into any of the retirement systems listed above during 2023, you may deduct those contributions, up to a maximum of $2,000

Reference: View tax treatment of retirement plan contributions and distributions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
russell29
Returning Member

Massachusetts State

Thank you very much for your help on this!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies