Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

massachusetts partnership information worksheet Part II insists I check the election, but I don't want it?

TT Business 2022

Massachusetts LLC, partnership Form 3

Massachusetts partnership information worksheet: Part II: Check Type of Return: 

(there's a check box that says:)  [ ] Annual Voluntary Election - Pass-through entity is electing to pay tax at the entity level pursuant to MGL ch 63D (this election is irrevocable)

TT insists I check the election, but I don't want it, it's not benficial to me.  It throwing an error message that if I'm filing electronically I must check the election.  But this is a voluntary election.  Etc. 

Should I just force the override and file it like that or am I missing something?  

Tthank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

massachusetts partnership information worksheet Part II insists I check the election, but I don't want it?

This is happening to me, too. How do you override it?

I went to 'forms view', then over to 'forms in my return' on the left, scrolled down to Massachusetts partnership, information wks. Then under 'part II',  you can uncheck the box.

But here's the super weird thing: after wrestling with this all afternoon, I just went to look at the return to get this information for you, and it's no longer showing the unchecked box as an error. I had saved and closed out the return and reopened it, updated, etc. but to no effect. It was still a problem.

Looking at it now it says 'Great news your return has no errors!'

Truly strange. 

Wow, that's lucky, I will try to fiddle with it. Thanks for the response. Were you able to file without checking the box? I got that great news window a couple times and then it stopped me on the last box before filing. Hopefully it works for you.

I've been researching this election and I might be trying to talk myself into it, but it seems like it might be intended as a good thing to reduce the amount of state taxes you pay on your personal return by shifting them to your LLC. They passed the law allowing it in response to the tax bill in 2018 that reduced the deduction allowed on a federal return for payment of state taxes. I don't know taxes well enough to know if it'll be beneficial to me or not, but if I can't figure out an override I might not have any choice.

I'm going to try to file it first thing in the morning with fresh eyes. 

Yes, it's def a good thing for higher tax payers than me, but if you don't pay $10,000 or more of state and local taxes it's a money loser for you. 

The only other thing I can possibly thick of is that I had incorrectly checked yes to the question 'Is the partnership a member of a lower tier entity. (Or something like that. It's question I on the form. ).  I changed it and thought, aha, this will fix it but it did not. But it is a change that I made, and it did miraculously correct itself at some point after that. 

I was hoping it’d be neutral for lower tax payers, because I think I’m in the same boat. 

I had misread that question about if the Llc is an entity and had it clicked as yes until I went back and corrected it. Wonder if that’s it! 

Oo, interesting it's the same thing! Hope it clears it up for you. 

Are you in Somerville? Both our kids are out in Boston, one in college, one working. We'll have to stop in!

Take care, Sue 

Yep in Somerville and Cambridge! 

I went through it and clicked yes on whether the LLC is a lower tier entity and it does look like it'll allow me to file now with the box unchecked. Gotta do some research into the implications of that question now!

I couldn't get it to file without taking the voluntary election. I called turbotax this morning and was talking to someone for half an hour when they put me on hold to ask for help and instead hung up. At that point I decided to just enter the return on Mass Tax Connect instead. Gonna try to get my $55 back for the state package. Good luck!

Ugh, that stinks.  

I was just able to file with no error and NOT checking the Election box. 

I think the answer is that Question I on the form "Is the partnership a memberof a lower teir entity?"  the answer should be NO and I'm sorry I didn't see your previous message where you said you checked it yes.  It should be NO.  

Good luck with your refund and better luck to us next year!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies