Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kim97
Returning Member

massachusetts 1099-c insolvency exception

I have received and entered my 1099-C (cancellation of debt) (it is credit card related)  I have filled out the insolvency exception portion on the federal tax return, but can not find where to fill out for my Massachusetts return.  Does anyone know how to do that?  Or does Massachusetts not have an exception for insolvency?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

What should happen is that the Federal amount of income should carry over to the Massachusetts return.  Massachusetts does not have its own form, but if you exclude income via insolvency on the Federal return, the "carry-over" income will also be excluded from the Massachusetts return.  Keep in mind that Massachusetts can ask for independent proof of the amount of income excluded, so be sure to retain good records of what you are claiming.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Massachusetts reports this type of income on Schedule X.  I'm not 100% certain of the navigation in the program, but if there is a "Massachusetts Adjustments" section, you can input the deduction of the insolvency there.  When these manual adjustments are made, it is likely you have to mail in the return, and be prepared to share your insolvency worksheet with the state.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

What should happen is that the Federal amount of income should carry over to the Massachusetts return.  Massachusetts does not have its own form, but if you exclude income via insolvency on the Federal return, the "carry-over" income will also be excluded from the Massachusetts return.  Keep in mind that Massachusetts can ask for independent proof of the amount of income excluded, so be sure to retain good records of what you are claiming.

Kim97
Returning Member

Thank you!!!!!

Kim97
Returning Member

Hello!  My MA return is pulling the entire amount of the cancelled debt over as income, not the amount that is showing up on my federal return as income (which is the entire amount LESS an insolvency credit).  I can't find where I have made an error - can you recommend what/where to check?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Massachusetts reports this type of income on Schedule X.  I'm not 100% certain of the navigation in the program, but if there is a "Massachusetts Adjustments" section, you can input the deduction of the insolvency there.  When these manual adjustments are made, it is likely you have to mail in the return, and be prepared to share your insolvency worksheet with the state.

Kim97
Returning Member

Thanks again - you've really helped!

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You are welcome!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies