Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gkhuat
Returning Member

Maryland state income tax why am I charged an interest for tax underpayment

I am filing my tax return for 2021 and I moved to Maryland during 2021. In total I am a Maryland part year resident for 4 months.

My Maryland state income tax was withheld from my paycheck by my employer every two weeks during 2021. I found out now that I owe around $1200 local and state income tax to Maryland, but I am confused why I am charged an interest ? The tax filing due date is April 18th, 2022 and it is still February 2022. I tried using the interest calculator on their website and even that said I do not owe interest if the tax filing due date is April 18th and I file my tax before that. Was there a different state tax filing date for Maryland ? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. Since you owe $1,200 on your state tax return, you are being subject to interest. Maryland is a pay-as-you-earn state. If your employer does withhold enough Maryland taxes from your pay, you may still be required to make quarterly estimated income tax payments if you develop a tax liability that exceeds the amount withheld by your employer by more than $500.

Per Form 502UP (Line 10), if you are a first-time filer in Maryland, you have to pay at least 90% of the current year's tax to avoid interest. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. Since you owe $1,200 on your state tax return, you are being subject to interest. Maryland is a pay-as-you-earn state. If your employer does withhold enough Maryland taxes from your pay, you may still be required to make quarterly estimated income tax payments if you develop a tax liability that exceeds the amount withheld by your employer by more than $500.

Per Form 502UP (Line 10), if you are a first-time filer in Maryland, you have to pay at least 90% of the current year's tax to avoid interest. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies