Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland Form 502: Line 8 - last year's refund not listed

In my 2019 filing, Turbotax did not include any amount on Maryland Form 502: Line 8. In each of the the forms from the last few years, Line 8 always was the previous year's state refund amount. 

Is there a reason why last year's state refund wasn't listed this time? Or was it an error (user or software) and the 2018 refund amount should be entered there?

Also - I filed the return. If this was an error and Line 8 should have the amount listed, does that mean I should file an amended return? (Once the dust clears from this initial filing).   

Thanks in advance for any help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

The instructions for line 8 for form 502 say (see page 7), "Line 8. STATE TAX REFUNDS. Copy onto line 8 the amount of refunds of state or local income tax included in line 1 of Form 502."

Thus, if your state tax refund was not considered taxable on the federal return, it won't be in your federal adjusted gross income (line 1 on form 502), so will not appear as a Subtraction for Maryland.

A state tax refund this year is not taxable if you did not use that tax last year (or whatever year it was from) for a tax deduction. For example, if you took the Standard Deduction last year, you did not get a tax deduction for the state tax last year, so the refund of that tax this year would not be taxable on the federal return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok, got it. Thanks for your time in answering. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies