turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drewshac

Maine SLRTC Filled Incorrectly

I've been doing the Maine Student Loan Repayment Tax Credit for a few years (even before it was SLRTC) and I'm afraid Turbotax has filled in my 2023 worksheet incorrectly. Box 5 states if your 2022 SLRTC was not more that $2500, enter $3500, otherwise enter $2500. My 2022 SLRTC WAS $3500, so my 2023 worksheet SHOULD be $2500. However, based on my estimated return, I'm afraid Turbotax put in $3500 incorrectly. How do I verify and/or fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Maine SLRTC Filled Incorrectly

The TurboTax screen relating to this issue doesn't quite match up with the instructions in the 2023 Student Loan Repayment Tax Credit Worksheet.

The instructions for Box D of the worksheet state:

Check this box if you previously received the EOTC for tax year 2019, 2020, or 2021 for a bachelor’s or associate degree in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (“STEM”) to indicate that you may be eligible to receive the one-time increased credit, up to $3,500. Also see the instructions for line 5 below. 

So, you wouldn't check Box D (on the worksheet) if you've already received the increased credit.

However, this isn't specified on TurboTax's Credit for Student Loan Repayment - Degree Information page:

Answering the second question Yes would appear to be the equivalent of checking Box D, and so will allow the $3,500 credit, even though it's a one-time credit you've already received.

Try selecting No Entry on the second question, and see if you receive the correct amount of credit.

See Student Loan Repayment Tax Credit (SLRTC) FAQ for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies