Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mhdfp
Returning Member

MA taxes - withdraw Roth for 1st time home buying

In 2023, my spouse and I withdrew all of our Roth IRA contributions, plus $10K each, to buy our first home. We've never withdrawn from our Roth IRAs before. We meet the 5 year holding requirement, so this shouldn't be taxable federally or in MA (see https://www.mass.gov/info-details/tax-treatment-of-non-government-pensions-in-massachusetts#keogh-pl...).

Everything is fine for our federal return, but I'm having a problem with the MA taxes.

Under "Taxable IRA/Keogh Distributions", I entered:

Other contributions previously taxed by Massachusetts - the total value of our contributions over the years

Total distributions received in previous years - $0

This is correctly preventing us from paying MA tax on the withdrawn contributions.

But, TurboTax is still charging us MA taxes on the remaining $20,000. I can see it in MA Form 1, line 9 and  Schedule X, line 2.

I believe Schedule X, line 2 should be 0. How do I fix this? Do I just hack it by adding $10K to the line "Other contributions previously taxed by Massachusetts", even though it's not really contributions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

MA taxes - withdraw Roth for 1st time home buying

Yes, I think you are right to set line 2 (sch X) to zero. See this discussion on Roth Distributions in MA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies