Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cbogan3
Returning Member

MA State Adjustments to K-1 Income

I have a Massachusetts Schedule SK-1 that has the state adjustments to the Federal K-1 from.  TurboTax has an Activity Worksheet that allows me to enter these adjustments but they do not flow to the MA Schedule E.  This is causing a problem.  In particular, the adjusted income does not show up on the state schedule E.  How do I do I adjust this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
maglib
Level 11

@cbogan3  go into the forms mode and on the k-1 worksheet, there is a section that you need to indicate which state right under the data input. I'm assuming Part III line 14, then right under it is 14I where you need to indicate the state specific amounts.

There are also some parts of the k-1 that must be entered manually as not supported that within the box 14 section will have a * which indicates manually enter item on the appropriate tax form or schedule.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
cbogan3
Returning Member

The item I need to adjust is on the K-1, Part III line1 - Ordinary business income (lose).  Because MA handles, amongst other things, depreciation differently then federal, this top-line number is different and needs to be adjusted.

maglib
Level 11

if you look at the K-1 Worksheet form itself, some codes will have * footnotes telling you that TT isn't doing anything with the information and you have to handle it yourself.  This applies not only to line 20, but other areas of the K-1 itself (e.g., 13K).  Also, in general, if you're typing in a description yourself, TT isn't doing anything with the info.

There is not an actual entry screen for the MA K-1, but you will be asked to list any differences between the amounts on the federal and MA forms.  

Compare the federal and state K-1s.  If they are not the same, then you have to enter the difference as adjustments to Federal Income in the state section of the program.

• If the amount on the state K-1 is higher than the federal K-1, enter an addition to federal income on your MA return.
  • If the amount on the state K-1 is lower than the federal K-1, enter an subtraction to federal income on your MA return.
  1. In the Massachusetts return, you will come to the Partnerships and S Corps screen.  The K-1 should be listed.  Click Edit.
  2. You will be given the option to exclude the K-1 from the MA return entirely.  Answer No.
  3. Note any differences on the next screen, MA Differences - Partnership [or S Corps].

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies