Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LauriZ

LTC Policy Surrender

My husband and I surrendered our LTC policies in 2023. We were told by the company that they could not tell us if the surrender value would be taxable, but if it was, we would receive a 1099 for our 2023 taxes. As of today (3/10/24) neither of us has received a 1099. I have called them and get the same answer they told me last year when we were deciding whether or not to surrender the policies. We paid in estimated taxes in anticipation of having to pay tax on the surrender value. If I file without the 1099s from the LTC company we get a 20K refund from feds and 11K from state. I assume that will red flag us. If we owe tax on this money I do not want to add on penalties and interest for not paying. Anyone have thoughts? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

LTC Policy Surrender

It would be best to wait to receive the Form 1099-MISC before you file your tax return. If you received a return on the premiums you paid into the policy, it would be taxable when you receive the cash surrender value payment. You have another month or so until your tax return is due and then you can file an extension if necessary to delay the due date of the return another six months. If you filed and received a refund of the estimated tax payments you made, you could face penalties for late payment of tax if you had to amend your return to pay in additional tax beyond the original due date of your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies