turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Looking for maximum refund

Since 4/2022, I currently live in Tennessee I moved here for my job at Amazon. I do own my home in WI and have a rental property there too.  I pay rent in TN and  I get income from the rental in WI and have deductions for both as I did rent out my home from September 2022 thru March 2023 and had to evict that tenant and do massive repairs to my home due to damages and eviction expenses created by tenant.  I am trying to figure out how to do my taxes this year.  I plan to move back to WI in May of this year.  Though I dont have state tax in TN, I know I do a WI return but need to figure out how to enter the income and deductions on my federal  from the rental to maximize my return; or do I just do that on as income earned in other state on the WI state return and just use my job on my federal....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Based on what you stated in your question, you are still a Wisconsin resident; therefore, you will file a Wisconsin resident tax return.  As a Wisconsin resident, your income is taxable by WI regardless of where it was earned.  Since Tennessee does not have an income tax, you don't have to file a non-resident tax return.  I'm not sure where you were going with your question that you ended with ....  You will need to report the income and expenses from the rental of your residence on Schedule E as a rental property.   If you did not report it as a rental on your 2022 tax return you will need to file an amended 2022 tax return and add the rental property.  For additional information on rental properties see the following TurboTax Help Article: 

Rental Real Estate and Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your response.  My home is a duplex and I did rent out one unit (A)and file taxes on it in WI as non resident for 2022.  I did not rent out my Unit until September 2022 until I Evicted the tenant in July of 2023 for non payment and severe damage to the property.  I have lived and worked in TN since 4/9/10/2022 and still reside in TN for my job.  The B rental is basically a loss and damages, court fees, non payment are over the income of the A unit.  So, that is my current situation.  I claimed income earned in another state (WI) for the rental 2022 and deducted for prior tenant damages and repairs on that unit  Which was re rented May 1, 2022 and that tenant still resides there.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you are filing as a nonresident, all WI income needs to be reported. If the tenant in your place made any payments, you would claim it as a rental with the income and expenses. Even if your B rental loss exceeds your A income, you need to file the WI return. For a single person, $2,000 of gross income requires you to file.

From WI FAQs:

Gross income means all income (before deducting expenses) reportable to Wisconsin. The income may be received in the form of money, property, or services.

If your house is in WI and you intend to return there, it sounds like you are a WI resident.  Here are some things states look at when determining residency from The Tax Book:

• Registering to vote and voting in the new state.
  • Purchasing residential property.
  • Titling and registering vehicles.
  • Paying state income tax to another state
  • Notifying the state of previous legal residence/domicile of the change in state of legal residence/domicile.
  • Preparing a last will and testament which indicates the new state of legal residence/domicile
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies